Herb gardens continue to become increasingly more and more popular. Odds are that you know someone with an herb garden. You may even have an herb garden yourself, or at least thought about starting an herb garden. What’s stopping you? Nothing tastes quite as good as fresh herbs. And what is fresher than herbs plucked right from your very own herb garden!?
Starting an Herb Garden
- Location: First, you have to decide where to put your herb garden. Some people mix their herbs into their vegetable garden, however, it is probably better to grow herbs in a separate, dedicated garden.
- Size: It is not the size of your herb garden, but the quality that matters. So instead of taking on too much, start small. It typically takes 12- by 18-inch plots for each individual herb. So pick a few of your favorites and get to gardening.
- Drainage: Believe it or not, drainage is probably the most important single factor in successful herb growing. Without adequate drainage, the herbs will not grow! To improve drainage, remove the soil to a depth of 15 to 18 inches and place a 3-inch layer of crushed stone on the bottom. Next, mix in some compost or sphagnum peat and sand. Finally, refill the bed. Remember to allow for settling of the soil.
- Soil: As you can imagine, soil matters. The main thing you have to remember is to not over-fertilize. Highly fertile soil tends to produce excessive amounts of foliage with poor flavor.
- Selecting Herbs: The hardest part of starting an herb garden is selecting the herbs! Which ones do you chose? A few options for beginners include: winter savory, rosemary, sage, basil, dill, mint, marjoram, tarragon, thyme, chives, and parsley. Now you just have to figure out where to buy these herbs…
Ace: The Largest Selection of Herbs in Maryland
Ace Hardware & Hearth in Pasadena and Ace Home & Leisure in Edgewater feature garden supplies and, of course, flowers, fertilizers, soil, mulch, and the equipment you need to care for your beloved garden. We also have the largest selection of herbs in Maryland! So why would you go anywhere else?
Our garden experts will help you find whatever you need.