As a homeowner, you know just how annoying weeds can be. Not only are they an eyesore on your front lawn, but they can also be expensive to get rid of. That is, unless you have the right chemical. Every year, homeowners waste too much money trying to kill weeds with the wrong chemical.
First and foremost, you need to know what type of weeds you are dealing with. There are two classes of weeds: broadleaf and grassy. A lot of weed killers (herbicides) are termed selective, meaning that perennial weeds are at risk but not lawn grasses. These herbicides are available as both a liquid, which is the most effective and the easiest to use, or granular.
What is the Best Weed Killer on the Market?
The best of these “lawn weed killers” available is Weed Beater Ultra produced by Bonide. Why is Weed Beater Ultra so good? Well, while other weed killers do not reach maximum effectiveness until the temperature is above 60 degrees, Weed Beater Ultra works down to 45 degrees. This means that you, as a homeowner, can attack weeds earlier, while it is still cold outside, when they are young and most vulnerable.
Additional benefits of Weed Beater Ultra include:
- Rain fast
- Shows results in hours
- Kills weeds down to the root
- Kills the broadest range of broadleaf weeds out there
- Allows you to plant grass seed after just two weeks
Plus, Weed Beater Ultra is recognized and recommended by more garden radio show hosts than any other brand of weed killer.
Liquid Weed Control Products vs. Granular Weed Control Products
- Liquid Weed Control Products: Applications of liquid weed control products range from Ready to Spray (RTS), where you just screw the bottle onto the end of the hose, to Ready to Use (RTU), the hand held trigger spray, to concentrate, which requires the use of a pump-up (compression) sprayer or hose end mixer. Weed Beater Ultra from Bonide is offered in each style.
- Granular Weed Control Products: Application of granular weed control products are best applied by a lawn spreader that you can walk behind or hold in your hand and crank. However, for granular weed and feed products to actually work, you must cut the grass first, wet the grass, spread the weed and feed around the yard, and make sure you apply granular weed killer on a fairly windless day. The weed killer must “stick” to the grass for a minimum of 24 hours to 48 hours in order to imbibe the flesh of the blade. If the granule fails to stick to the weed, it will NOT kill the weed. Weed killer lying on the soil does nothing for weed control, it is just money wasted.
Ace knows that Maryland Homeowners love their Lawns!
At Ace Hardware & Hearth in Glen Burnie and Pasadena, Maryland and Ace Home & Leisure in Edgewater, we take special care in selecting the lawn products that will perform best on Maryland lawns. Our experts will help you determine the right products for your unique needs.
Check back next week as we take a deeper look at controlling tough weeds and weeds in flower beds, around shrubs and in vegetable gardens.
In the meantime, if you have any other questions about Weed Control and Lawn Care, our experts are here to help. Please visit AceHardwareAndHearth.com today to locate the Ace Hardware nearest you! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.