As a homeowner, are you tired of seeing the same boring birds in your backyard each and every day? Do you want a little more variety? A little more color? Well, why not try and attract everyone’s favorite bird: the Bluebird? It is the bird that everyone wishes would visit their backyard and nest in their bird house.
“The bluebird carries the sky on his back”- Henry David Thoreau
What you may not know is that there are actually three species of bluebirds: Eastern, Western and Mountain. Each species is common in residential yards, rural fields and meadows, and occasionally urban or commercial areas. And because eastern bluebirds have made a comeback from near extinction, they are willing visitors to any yard that provides what they like.
Tips for Attracting Bluebirds to Your Yard
- Purchase a Bluebird Nesting Box: The best bluebird nesting boxes are well-ventilated, have drain holes, a 4” x 4” square floor, a 1.5” hole, no perch, and are made from cedar.
- Avoid The Tree: Believe it or not, the best place to hang your bluebird nesting box is not on a tree, but a pole or post with a baffle. It is even better if this pole is in an open area away from other bird houses and bird feeders. Bluebirds like the nesting box 40” high to the center of the hole in the box. Use Diatomaceous Earth or Snake repellent sprinkled around the base of the pole to deter snakes.
- Monitor the Nesting Box: Look for and remove bumble bees, wasps and ants.
- Food and Water: Around this time, most bluebirds have fledged their first brood and are presently feeding those new hungry mouths. They love live mealworms, bluebird nuggets, and Patio Low Millet blend seed. They respond to a dinner bell announcing your presence to fill their feeder box. It is best to employ a bluebird feeder that has a hole in each end, a top that flops up and a plexiglas front for viewing.
- Landscape: Bluebirds enjoy landscapes with dogwood, serviceberry, viburnum, sumac and mulberry.
- Don’t Use Pesticides: We repeat: do not use pesticides.
- Visit Ace: Ace Hardware & Hearth in Pasadena and Ace Home & Leisure in Edgewater have extensive birder sections. We have live mealworms, bluebird suet nuggets, nesting boxes, mealworm feeders, and everything you need to turn your backyard into any bluebirds dream home. We also have a cute selection of bluebirds gifts and flags.
Bluebirds will often have two more broods in a summer, so, get ready for the fun!
If you have any other questions Attracting Bluebirds to Your Yard, our experts are here to help. Please visit AceHardwareAndHearth.com today! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.